The 2018 grant season has closed. The information below is provided for those considering applying in 2019. The application schedule will probably be similar to the dates shown below. The application form and requirements may change. Updated application information and documents will appear here by February 1, 2019.
Links to the application forms and other required documents can be found near the bottom of this page. Please review all information on this page before you begin an application. If you have any questions, please contact us at connect@NorthfieldUnitedWay.org.
Northfield Area United Way seeks to improve quality of life in the communities we serve through effective programs in:
- Financial Stability/Basic Needs
Key Dates at a Glance
- March 16………………………………Grant proposals due
- First week of May ……………….Grant Allocations Panels (applicants attend one panel)
- Mid-May………………………………..Notice of grant
- July 1, 2018–June 30, 2019…..Grant period
Organizations and Grants We Consider
Tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations or governmental units performing service in the areas of health, human services or education will be considered for grants. Grants may be given to support an organization’s operations and/or active programs providing direct services to those in need during the fiscal year (July 1, 2018 to June 30, 2019) within our service areas and ZIP codes:
Applicants should address a demonstrated need, explain how the organization helps solve the need and how it measures results, and quantify the organization’s success. Northfield Area United Way will consider quantifiable outcomes, not simply activities, when reviewing applications.
We give priority consideration to programs that serve the greatest need and help the greatest number of community members in our areas of focus. We look for applicants to demonstrate how their programs serve those in need and solve problems in our community.
Organizations that have not received funding from Northfield Area United Way in the past may apply. Past grants are no guarantee of future funding.
We will not consider grants for:
- Capital projects
- Organizations that espouse political or religious advocacy as part of their services
- Organizations that engage in significant fundraising activity during one month of the annual United Way Campaign (Oct. 1-31). See our Fundraising Restrictions document online. Certain exceptions apply.
Northfield Area United Way requires an official, board-approved diversity/anti-discrimination policy from organizations with each grant application. Applications without a diversity policy will not be considered.
How to Approach Our Grant Application
Please note that there are several sections of the grant application:
- Grant Proposal
- Budget Sheets
- Anti Terrorism Compliance Form
- You also are required to attach certain documents noted in the application
We require two versions of the grant proposal:
- One hard copy sent to:
Northfield Area United Way
P.O. Box 56
Northfield, MN 55057
- One electronic copy uploaded to Google Drive. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your upload link. You may do this as early as you wish; you do not need to wait until you are ready to upload your application file(s). Please do not wait until the last minute.
The online application deadline is Friday, March 16, 2018. The hard copy application must be postmarked by March 16, 2018.
We ask that each applicant to be available for questions from our allocations panels. Please be sure someone at a top level can meet for 15 to 20 minutes to present their proposal during the first week of May. Final dates will be posted as they are available. We will schedule the panels by early April so you can plan ahead.
Please review the partner agreement before applying to ensure you can comply with the terms. We view this relationship as a partnership and look forward to working with you. You will be required to sign this document to accept a grant. You do not sign it until you are contacted about a grant allocation.
Application Forms and Other Downloads
Please download the Education grant proposal if you have an education-related grant. Otherwise, select the Health and Basic Needs application. Shorter applications are offered for those requesting less than $5,000.
Also please download: