Links to the application forms and other required documents can be found near the bottom of this page. Please review all information on this page before you begin an application. If you have any questions, please contact us at connect@NorthfieldUnitedWay.org.
Northfield Area United Way seeks to improve quality of life in the communities we serve through effective programs in:
- Financial Stability
Key Dates at a Glance: 2019 Applications
- March 15………………………………Grant proposals due
- First week of May …………………Grant Allocations Panels (applicants attend one panel)
- Mid-May………………………………..Notice of grant
- July 1, 2019–June 30, 2020…….Grant period
Organizations and Grants We Consider
Tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organizations or governmental units performing service in the areas of health, human services, or education will be considered for grants. Grants may be given to support an organization’s operations and/or active programs providing direct services to those in need during the fiscal year (July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020) within our service areas and ZIP codes:
- Dennison, 55018
- Dundas, 55019
- Kilkenny, 56052
- Lonsdale, 55046
- Montgomery, 56069
- Northfield, 55057
- Webster, 55088
Applicants should address a demonstrated need, explain how the organization helps solve the need and how it measures results, and quantify the organization’s success. Northfield Area United Way will consider quantifiable outcomes, not simply activities, when reviewing applications.
We give priority consideration to programs that serve the greatest need and help the greatest number of community members in our areas of focus. We look for applicants to demonstrate how their programs serve those in need and solve problems in our community.
Organizations that have not received funding from Northfield Area United Way in the past may apply. Past grants are no guarantee of future funding.
We will not consider grants for:
- Capital projects
- Organizations that espouse political or religious advocacy as part of their services
- Organizations that engage in significant fundraising activity during one month of the annual United Way Campaign (Oct. 1-31). See our Fundraising Restrictions document online. Certain exceptions apply.
Northfield Area United Way requires an official, board-approved diversity/anti-discrimination policy from organizations with each grant application. Applications without a diversity policy will not be considered.
How to Approach Our Grant Application
Please note that there are several sections of the grant application:
- Grant Proposal
- Budget Sheets
- Anti Terrorism Compliance Form
- You also are required to attach certain documents noted in the application
We require two versions of the grant proposal:
- One hard copy sent to:
Northfield Area United Way
P.O. Box 56
Northfield, MN 55057
- One electronic copy uploaded to Google Drive. Please contact us at email@example.com to receive your upload link. You may do this as early as you wish; you do not need to wait until you are ready to upload your application file(s). Please request your link at least two days before the grant application deadline.
The upload deadline is Friday, March 15, 2019. The hard copy application must be postmarked by March 15, 2019.
We ask that each applicant to be available for questions from our allocations panels. Please be sure someone at a top level can meet for 15 to 20 minutes to present their proposal during the first week of May. Final dates will be posted as they are available. We will schedule the panels by early April so you can plan ahead.
Please review the grant agreement before applying to ensure you can comply with the terms. We view this relationship as a partnership and look forward to working with you. You will be required to sign this document to accept a grant. Do not sign it until you are contacted about a grant allocation.
Proposal Forms and Other Downloads
This year we have reduced the number of grant proposal forms. There is a single proposal form covering all three of our focus areas (education, health, and financial stability). A shorter form is also offered for those requesting less than $5,000. There is a space on each form to indicate the primary focus area of your application. We understand that there may be some overlap between areas, and if so, we invite you to address this in your proposal narrative.
Also please download: